Monday, May 27, 2013

5.27.13 Week 7

Hej! Hola? 

I'm in California! It has been a pretty fun week. And so nice to be out of the MTC. We flew into Fresno on this little plane that was almost all full of missionaries. There were 30 something of us going to Fresno, and only  like 5 other people that weren't missionaries. I felt kinda bad for them. They were getting bombarded by Books of Mormon!  No joke- I saw one guy get handed 4 Books of Mormon at once, and then when he said "no," he was offered like 8 pass along cards from different people. They left the plane pretty fast... Anyways, we landed and went straight to the mission office in Fresno, dropped off our bags, and went off to go contacting! I went with Elder Enslow! He went to Alta too, and he's been here in Fresno for about 5 months. So it was  fun to go with him. It wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be! Almost everyone we talked to at least believed in Christ, so it was easy to start talking and explain our church. We got a couple people that said we could come back, so I'd say it went well!

On Thursday I met my companions. Their names are Elder Rader and Elder Thompson, and they are zone leaders, so I'm kinda like a zone leader! haha JK not really.  But I do get to help out a little bit, so it's fun. Since I'm in a trio that means that as soon as my visa comes I can leave! So that's good. But our area is in Merced, which is a town about an hour north of Fresno, Kinda towards Yosemite. It's about the same size as Brigham City.  Our area is on the outskirts of town, a little slice of their ghetto, and a little town called Franklin. I really scored with this area. It's not near as desert-y as  I thought it would be. There are lots of trees and orchards and things everywhere, And it hasn't even been too hot. I love it. We live in the basement of this old couple named the Rowans. They are the greatest! They are so cute. They are maybe in their late 70's early 80's and are pretty fun. Brother Rowan goes with us sometimes to teach. He is great. So we have a ton of room in their basement with our own kitchen, fridge, all that good stuff. And...... we got a car!! Not only a car, a truck! A silver Colorado. It is awesome, and it's gonna be even better once it starts getting hotter. I get an hour each day to study Danish and I get to call the other Danish missionaries and this Danish lady in one of the wards to talk to them so I don't forget it. President Gelwix gave a blessing to all the danish missionaries that we wouldn't forget the language and that once we got to Denmark we would learn it even faster, so that was nice and made me feel a lot better. 

We had a baptism yesterday! It was awesome! It was a guy named Freddy, he was so excited to get baptized. I didn't really know him, because I'm new, but we got to meet with him a couple times throughout the week and he asked me to confirm him, so that'll be fun! We had an investigating family come to the baptism too! ( We had 6 investigator families at church, it was awesome) The husband of the family wants to get baptized pretty bad, but he has some word of wisdom issues that we are having some problems fixing. But after the baptism this guy ( Charlie) came running up to Freddy and shook his hand and was asking him how it felt and things, so hopefully that gives him some motivation to stop smoking and drinking. He will do it. I love getting to know all these families. It's so fun! I want them to get baptized so bad, It'll make them so happy! And it seems like they know that too, but they just can't quite get there. But we will do everything we can to help them out. I'm so excited to be out here and being a real missionary! I love every little part of it. Thanks for all the prayers for my visa! I really appreciate it. 

Jeg elsker jer!!

-Conner

No comments:

Post a Comment